Whether you have a life-threatening heart attack or stroke, break a bone, or wrench your back, you need immediate medical attention. The Emergency Medicine team at Phelps Hospital is on call around the clock to provide medically advanced, compassionate care—when minutes matter most. Every one of our board-certified physicians and nurses has completed the highest level of training in emergency medicine. Their wealth of experience, depth of dedication and our state-of-the-art facility mean you or someone you love will receive outstanding care.
Services within our Emergency Department
- Our state-of-the-art facility features 32 private treatment rooms, each designed for maximum comfort and privacy
- Our bedside registration process, along with timely and efficient evaluation by an Emergency Department medical team member, ensure that you will receive appropriate treatment fast
- Designated treatment rooms allow for specialized services, including critical care, gynecology, psychiatry, orthopedics and dentistry
- A separate pediatric section with a playroom helps make the visit as pleasant as possible for our youngest patients
- A 24-hour radiology suite equipped with the most advanced digital X-ray and scanning technologies promises rapid detection and evaluation of injury or illness, day or night
- Hospitality Services team members ease your stay by providing extra blankets and pillows, or just a shoulder to lean on, so you feel as relaxed and comfortable as possible
Stroke care at Phelps
Phelps Hospital has earned official designation as a Stroke Center from the New York State Department of Health. Annually since 2009, the Phelps Stroke Center has received the highest level of recognition—Get With the Guidelines-Stroke “Gold Plus” Achievement Award—from the American Heart and American Stroke associations for consistently providing aggressive, evidence-based stroke care that dramatically improves outcomes.
The Phelps Emergency Department cooperates with the ambulance corps of Ardsley, Briarcliff, Chappaqua, Cortlandt, Croton, Dobbs Ferry, Elmsford, Greenburgh, Irvington, Mohegan, Montrose, Mount Pleasant, Ossining, Peekskill, Pleasantville, Sleepy Hollow, Tarrytown, Thornwood, Valhalla and Verplank.
Other emergency services
Phelps offers additional emergency and disaster preparedness services for the community.
- Phelps Hospital’s freestanding and self-contained Decontamination Unit allows us to respond to incidents requiring decontamination of patients who have sustained exposure to or direct contact with chemical, biological, or radioactive agents
- The Hoch Center for Emergency Education at Phelps Hospital provides education and training in emergency medical response for healthcare providers, first responders, businesses and the public